Friday, May 31, 2013

Eternal Things


This was an amazing quote by President Kimball that Sister Julie B. Beck quoted at Women's Conference in 2009.  I got goose bumps all over when I heard it. Man do we  have a work to do or what?!  We need to love everyone and be understanding of differences, but we do not need to shirk from what we know is true or lower our standards and beliefs because the world says that we need to.  The family is under attack.  Pres. Kimball said "...There are those who would define the family in such a nontraditional way that they would define it out of existence."  Sis. Beck also said in that talk that "We are in those times when we are the ones who must preserve our families amid the gathering evil around us.  How do we do that?  How do Latter-day Saint women do that?  We do that by keeping our focus clearly on the blessings of eternal life.  It is our responsibility to help ourselves and our families and our loved ones prepare for the blessings of eternal life.  The Lord said, 'This is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man'  (Moses 1:39).  For this purpose the worlds were created and we were created.  We need to keep our focus on that."

So basically the temple. We need to focus on our temple covenants and use them to strengthen our own little families.  We will bless and contribute to the world the most by doing the daily small and simple things of the gospel; praying, scriptures, serving, repenting, trying and trying and trying again.  I find that wonderfully comforting especially in this crazy time that we live in.
I don't have to change the world and make these big huge contributions to society, BUT I do have to improve myself and my family for the better each day by loving & serving others, giving my time, means and talents to others and by following the living Prophet of God.   If I focus on those eternal things in my family, in the end, that will be the biggest contribution I can make to the world.

In that same talk, Sister Beck also says:


So powerful.  Knowing who we are and "who's we are" and who's work this is changes EVERYTHING.  I am not perfect at this life as none of us are, but I do feel that God still needs me and wants me and all of us to succeed and be wise and fruitful in our labors as His children.  We're each going to have times when we are more focused on what matters most than others, the important thing is that we all keep trying our best, and even if its not our best, than something close to our best still counts. This is an awesome work and it's awesome to be a part of it.  I love it, I love it, I love it.  Did I mention, I love it?!

Here's to keeping our focus on the Eternal things!



No comments:

Post a Comment