Monday, September 25, 2017

Plan Your Action!




By Jen Sorensen

I actually thrive on a little bit of chaos. Sounds crazy, I know, but it’s a huge challenge and I like beating it. But chaos in a calendar is one thing. What do we do when the chaos is happening in our hearts? For me, the key lies in this wisdom from Lehi in The Book of Mormon:

“And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon.” (2 Nephi 2:26)

I love this. We have a Heavenly Father who loves us and knows what we can handle better than we do. So when I’m faced with an especially crazy week, I focus on not letting myself “be acted upon.” Instead, I look at everything, take a deep breath (and an extra hug from my husband!) and make a PLAN!

Don’t let the word intimidate you. You don't have to be an architect to put together a plan. It's more like a quick time-out. Keeping things simple won't add another rock to the bag of everything you are already carrying. Take a minute, huddle up and say, “here’s what I'm going to do...”
Now, General Conference is only a few days away. It's an exciting time for all of us! I’m ready to learn how my Heavenly Father wants me to grow and improve. I’m determined. It's a great time to take a look at how I'm going to act for myself.  So, here’s my plan of action (beware: it’s so simple) - I’m going to pick six topics that stand out to me and focus on a different one each month until the next General Conference. These topics will be the focus of my prayers, my personal study, my thoughts, my parenting, my planning, my decision-making.

Another one of my favorite verses is one we probably all know well. In James we read, “faith without works is dead.” So, let us show some faith in ourselves by our actions, our plans of action. What will you do next to Plan Your Action?

Watch on Instagram this week for #PlanYourAction posts!

1 comment: